2.29.2012

Low, the winter is past...

...or at least all the crocuses think so.

Today is almost preposterously balmy.  There were thunderstorms last night (thunderstorms! in February!) and more thunderstorms are predicted for this afternoon.  However, sandwiched in between the tumultuous weather, is this little slice of spring bliss more suited to May 1st than Leap Day.

I simply had to capture the loveliness and share it with you.






The crocuses are little colonies of woodsy color in amongst the weathered seed pods and stalks of last year.  They are so small that they just add grace notes to all the browns and dull greens without displacing them.

There are signs of new growth, too.  My sedum is sending up its first little clusters.  It will be a verdant, hanging green carpet come April.

 Mom puts plastic cutlery in some of her planters and beds to keep the stray cats out of it.  It works, but it always look as if teenagers had been playing pranks on us.


The daffodil buds are already blushing yellow.  They might start blooming as early as next week.  Below are some of my favorite tulips.  They bloom a variegated pink, but they have such fun leaves!


Isn't the striping at the base of this crocus delicious?

I germinated some bachelor's buttons seeds that were at least 3 years old, expecting about a third of them to sprout.  Instead, they ALL did.  I'll just have to be extra careful when I transplant them outside, teasing them apart so I can space them properly.

 they're so twisty and cute!

I've been growing bare-root plants in hanging containers (mostly glass soda bottles).  Their vibrant green has cheered me through the long winter months.  I love the sinuous curves they make.
They seem to really like their glass vessels.  They have grown and thrived.



Last, but not least, are my bonsai seedlings.  I only got two of them to sprout effectively, but I look forward very much to nurturing them into adult bonsais.

No comments:

Post a Comment