2.15.2012

Look what I made!



There are items that have been lurking on my crafting to-do list for far too long.  Well, no more!
I've been kicking butt and taking names, busting out project after project.

These pictures represent a sampling of what I've been up to.


The doily is a project for a friend.  My favorite parts are the yellow french knots making "petals" on the small daisy, and the whipped running stitch border, neither of which were in the original printed design.
It's interesting to me how much leeway is left once the design has been determined.  Not only are the color choices completely up to the sewer, but choice of stitch as well, which means the same design can have a very different look and texture, depending on what stitches are used.


I made this pint-sized dress for my niece that's on the way, using this pattern and tutorial from Sew Much Ado.  She has great tutorials and tips.  The pattern worked great.  I had no problem sewing it, even though I've never inserted elastic before.
I added the ruffle to the design. The ruffle means that it'll go down to her ankles.  Can't you just imagine her little toes kicking out of it!

I carefully trimmed it with the tiniest lace imaginable, a gift from my aunt.


This dress is a modification of Made By Rae's itty-bitty baby dress.
Instead of finishing the shoulder straps with ties, I converted them to a button closure, so the straps would fit better under sweaters and jackets.

Then I trimmed the bottom edge with a ruffle salvaged off of an old blouse, and added a whipped running stitch border to the front bodice edge and around the hem.


These are some headbands I made for my niece.  Her school's uniform guidelines specify that she can't wear hair accessories unless they match the uniform.  So, her mother kindly saved me some uniform bits she'd outgrown, and I recovered and accessorized some headbands for her.


Here she is, happily modeling one for me.

Doesn't she look like she's going to turn 14 any minute, even though she's 9.  She's grown at least 3 inches in the past 8 months.  I yi yi.

The last project isn't finished, but I thought I'd give you a sneak peak anyway.  I've been working on printable wedding suites that brides could download and print themselves.  This way, they could save money, but also have gorgeous invitations. This suite is based on traditional Mehndi designs.

I love having a project going that encourages me to draw.



No comments:

Post a Comment