1.19.2012

Print Design for Sarah's "nest egg"



I've been ignoring various projects I'm supposed to be finishing (can we say really late Christmas presents anyone?).  Instead, I've been working on a braided rug for my new room (more on this later), and designing the invitations for my sister's baby shower.

The invitation is very pink,  especially once it's combined with the pink envelope and the pink-and-black bird sticker I designed to seal them.
I forgive it because I really like the nest I drew.

The most interesting part for me was the evolution of it as a graphic design.  I have digital documentation of almost all of the stages because I was emailing back and forth with my sister.

I started with an image I created as part of a future wedding suite.  It's meant to be on the back of the RSVP postcards.  (The frame for the main invitation is an adaptation of the frame in this post.)
Then I added an egg I created digitally and filled in the background.  It ended up blue because I was thinking of robin's eggs.


The mommy to-be pointed out the inappropriateness of blue, seeing as how she's having a little girl, so I turned it pink.


Somehow that was less than thrilling. I tried making it even more pink.


I kind of liked it, despite a sincere aversion to pink.  My mother and sister didn't.
I tried to tone it down.
I tried pink with blue flowers and almost heaved.  Baby pink and baby blue really don't look good together, which is probably why almost all designs incorporating both incorporate another color, such as grass green.

Finally, I tried pink egg, black floral design, and a pink border.


viola.  Something everyone could be happy with.

Here's what the inside looks like:


I'll show you what it looks like all printed out tomorrow, when there's better light to photograph by.

No comments:

Post a Comment