9.22.2011

a pattern for you!


There's an increasing number of babies in my life.  I love this.  Their bright eyes, pudgy hands, cute feet, not to mention the awesome faces they make when they yawn.
So, when a new life is anounced, I want to make something for them. The problem is, what to make.

Well, stuffed animals work pretty well, but you never know if the child's going to like them in, say, 2 years.  Blankets take too much time, at least the ones I've been making. Clothes are complicated.  Bibs however, are both pretty, useful, and are sinfully easy to make.
So I've been making a lot of bibs.

I used a free pattern from Burda.com to get the approximate size, then sketched out what I would like the bib to look like, traced it, and have been using that pattern ever since.  Now, I've scanned it and digitally redrawn it so I can share it with you.
It prints out on two 8.5x11 pieces of paper, which you tape together, matching the gray dots.





You will need:

11x15" or larger piece of cotton fabric
11x15" or larger piece of cotton terry cloth, flannel, or a knit.
sewing machine
thread
2 standard size pearl snap or plain snaps (one is a spare, because I always mess up the 1st time.)

NOTE:  the solid line is the cutting line.  The dotted line is where you're going to sew.  This bib is sized for a baby aged 5 months to a year.  If you want the pattern to fit a newborn, simply cut the top part of the strap to the innermost half-circular line.  The middle half circular line is for babies about 3 months old.

1.  Put the 2 pieces of fabric on top of each other, right sides together.  pin pattern to fabrics.  Cut out fabric along the solid line.

2. Sew the two pieces together along the dotted line.  Remember to not sew the short, straight end closed.

3. cut small notches along the curved edges without cutting into your line of sewing. turn the bib right side out, pulling it through the unsewn strap end.

4. iron the bib completely flat, pulling out the edges so it's fully shaped. Tuck the exposed edge of the lower strap inside.  Iron it so it holds its shape.

5. stitch around the entire edge of the bib, 1/4 or 1/8 from the edge. It doesn't matter what distance you pick.  Just be consistant.
this stitching will keep the bib from going wonky in the dryer, and close up the exposed edge.

6.  follow the instructions on the package and attach a pearl snap.

Done!

to get the pattern, click here.

This is the first time I've published a pattern, so I would LOVE comments or notes on how I could improve my directions, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment