7.15.2012

vacation photography: photographing for myself

The mornings were so beautiful, so serene.


My family has outgrown our old vacationing spots the way a plant outgrows a pot.  So a family meeting was held, subcommittees were formed, and a new location was found.  We ended up renting out an entire retreat house in the southern part of the state.  The retreat house used to be a rich doctor's house, complete with lake, hiking paths, pool, indoor and outdoor game rooms, and at least 6 bathrooms. Heaven.

The only hitch was that within 5 minutes of my group's arrival, the power went out, and staid out for the rest of the long weekend.  It was part of that storm at the beginning of July that knocked out power in several states.  However, the stove was gas powered and so was the hot water heater.  So we staid on.
We turned the un-powered refrigerators into large coolers by adding bags of ice regularly.  We played games or talked by candle light in the evening.  To combat the heat, we took cold showers and went to the pool. A lot.
It was rather like luxury camping.

The only battery that didn't give out on me was my camera's battery.  I'm so glad it held through.  I took pictures of my family, mostly of my two Hutchinson neices because I rarely get to see them together for enough time to get a decent picture.  Also Catherine was frequently in a good mood, showing off her twinkly eyes and brand new smile.

However, I have a special love for the pictures I took for no one but myself.  These were the early morning pictures or early evening pictures, full of gently atmospheric greenery, and almost opaque early morning mist.









No comments:

Post a Comment