3.07.2012

Black Velvet and a Little Girl's Smile

Last week, I did a short portrait session with my sister Mary.  She needed a good picture for a work related website.
It was late, and I was feeling lazy, and I knew I only needed one good shot.  So I whipped out my favorite go-to backdrop: black velvet and a tension rod.

After a little silliness...
 well, actually a lot of silliness...
 ...we got the pictures we wanted.


I love black velvet. I love the way it looks in a picture
Black velvet just looks so classy every time.
It soaks up light, so that all you get is a pure, unadulterated black wherever it is, and beautiful detail wherever it isn't. You can swaddle babies in it, and just get their adorable arms and legs and squidgy faces.  You can put someone in front of it in a black shirt, and they will instantly look artsy.  If you put a woman in front of black velvet in a black shirt, they always end up looking like an opera singer: all soul and possibility.

It's only downside is that it's a little fiddly to get a "hair light" or "back light" to work properly, because the velvet won't bounce any light onto the back of the person.  For all of you I just lost due to the usage of technical terms, a back light is the light that, when you're lighting a portrait, lights the back of the person to add definition to the edge of them and separate them from the background.

Black velvet is also killer for taking pictures of objects.
This is Mary's most recent project, a crocheted recieving blanket for our nephew, who is due any day now.  She forgot to take a picture of it before she gave it to me to put in a package, so I took a few for her.



Lovely, no?

Speaking of things wrapped up in dark, velvety beauty, here's what the moon looks like tonight:

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful pictures! The silliness and the less silly are both appreciated and ... yes, expected. The crochet work is lovely and pls tell MR I like her glasses, too.

    ReplyDelete