10.29.2011

Fall Beauty

Last night was the first real frost of the season.


So I hauled in my lavender plant, picked a few of the late blooming plants, said goodbye to my seasonal lovelies, and did some hand quilting, which is about the cosiest craft project imaginable.



Today, I bought some cardamon, which is my favorite cold weather baking and cooking spice.  I put it in apples, steel cut oats, pumpkin and banana bread, my coffee...


It's also a favorite spice in a lot of indian and Middle Eastern dishes, so I'm going to try a couple of those out as well.  I may even bust out the turmeric (I'm an adventurous soul, I know).



Monday, I'll do the mulching and prepping beds for winter.
My wardrobe has already made the transition to rich autumnal colors and lots of lovely layers, though I have to mend my favorite sweater, as it caught a snag while I was in New York.

I love the fall weather, but It's such a transitory season.  It is full of bright colors, harvest, and warm scents, but it's promise is winter, with it's scraggly landscapes, denuded vines, and having to wear socks all the time in my chilly house.
Still, I'll enjoy the trees while I can.


All pictures taken and copyrighted by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment